Thursday, August 7, 2014

Bird watching

There's a nest hidden in there
Outside of the window of the TV room at my parents is pitiful little bush that Mom has thought of cutting down. A couple of weeks ago we noticed that almost every time we walked out the front door a bird would fly out of the bush.
The tail and part of a wing of the momma bird
The bird was to fast for us to see it so we weren't sure what kind of bird had taken up residency. We would take turns peeking out the window to see if we could see in the nest or identify the bird.
It was hard getting a good view into the nest
I think it was my mom who figured out that it was a family of cardinals that had moved in.
Momma cardinal
We were careful to not disturb them and would peek out the window through the curtains. The day we saw movement in the nest was very exciting. Three little baby's were hatched.
This nest is getting crowded!

They grew fast
We couldn't believe how fast the baby's grew. I saw the Daddy cardinal around the nest a lot but he was harder to get a picture of.
I couldn't get a good pic of the proud daddy
In just over a week proud parents were teaching the babies to fly!
Flapping around in the yard
I got some good shots of the babies but Momma and Daddy were always close by. It wouldn't have surprised me if one of them had dived bombed me.
Exploring the world

A face only a mother could love
And just that quickly the cardinal family moved out.
Empty nest

No comments:

Post a Comment