Thursday, July 10, 2014

Gardening

When I first started planning a post about our garden I thought it would be neat to open with a Bible verse. However, after doing a search on gardening I couldn't find anything that was relevant to my search :) The Bible starts with telling us about the Garden of Eden but nothing there would fit with what I was doing. Then in 1&2 Kings a garden is mentioned but it's in reference to where kings are buried ... that wasn't fitting either. I had forgotten about a garden being talked about in Song of Solomon but I''m sure those verses weren't fitting either. Then you travel to the New Testament and it talks about the Garden of Gethsemane. Yeah we don't have a praying garden either.

Then it occurred to me that I was searching for the wrong word. So I opened my Bible app, started a new search and found what I was looking for ...

"You will eat the fruit of you labor; blessings and prosperity will be yours." Ps 128:2

Farm in Michigan
Growing up in Michigan we always had a big garden that did very well. The soil there is dark and rich and just produces some of the most delectable fruits and vegetables. So when we moved to the South it was disappointing to see how poorly the gardens did.

My parents have lived in the same house for over twenty years now and they have worked with and treated the soil every year. Some years did better than others but they never gave up.
Mom and Dad getting the garden ready
This year everything seems to be falling into place, the soil looks good, we have been having plenty of rain, and the bees are working hard pollinating.
Getting the rows just right
Mom working hard
Almost every evening they would come home from work just to go work in the garden before it got dark.
Taking a quick phone break
And boy did it pay off!!
All kinds of veggies
It started out kind of slow with a few squash and zucchini here and there but then it exploded
A sample of what's coming in
 Now the cucumbers are starting to come in.

Cucumber plants
We may have to try some pickling recipes.
Almost ready to pick

No comments:

Post a Comment