Monday, July 14, 2014

Summer Storm

In the evenings things are usually quiet around the house, occasionally we'll have a visitor but mostly it's just the four of us, Mom, Dad, my uncle and me. If it's nice out my parents like to work around the house, usually in the garden. However, if it's to hot or if it's raining we'll all stay in the house. If there's a baseball game on the men like to watch that and mom and I will hang out in another room. On occasion the four of us will pull up an old TV show and watch it together. We had had several days that were very rainy so one evening after supper the four of us decided to watch an episode of  "The Rockford Files", a TV show from the 70's that my mom really likes.
Rain helps the garden to grow :)
When all of a sudden I heard a terrible noise that scared me right out of my seat. I had no idea what was going on but it sounded like something was coming through the wall. My mom thought one of the trees had fallen and had hit the house, we were both partially right. Almost :)
Power line pulled right across the front door
A tree had fallen but instead of hitting the house it landed on the power line.
It was a huge limb
The sound that I heard was the meter box being pulled off the house.
The porch railing kept it from getting torn off completely
We had quite a mess in our yard.
Thankfully the rain had cooled the air down so we were able to open the windows and lit candles to see. The electric power board worked very hard and had the power back on by midnight. The next couple of days they worked on different things, like a new power pole and telephone lines.
Then my dad and I worked on yard clean-up ... He did most of the work.
Almost all cleaned up
I would have gotten pictures of the clean up process but I was busy working and didn't think of my camera until after it was done. The only evidence of the storm now is the huge mark on the tree.
Thankfully no one was hurt and no real damage was done.
We didn't get to finish watching Rockford Files but we did have a good time sitting around just talking with no electronic distractions.


No comments:

Post a Comment