Saturday, December 1, 2018

What is a midwife?

What is a midwife and are they relevant for today? The literal definition is "with woman". It is so much more than just catching baby's. It starts with prenatal care up to 6 weeks post partum and sometimes way beyond that. I have met midwives who have been with a woman so long that they have delivered three or four of their baby's. It's about women's health and building relationships.
One of the responses I got when I was telling people that I was going to school to be a midwife was, "Are midwives still used today?". The answer is "Yes". "In fact, the six countries with the lowest perinatal mortality rates in the world all make generous use of midwives, who attend 70 percent of all births." (Heart & Hands 5th edition, pg.1)
Rebecca is a midwife that came in to pass on some of her skills.
We are learning to be midwives so we can make a difference. In a previous post I showed where we were learning about proper hand washing and taking vital signs.

Our skills training has continued to grow.
Finger sticks and reading a glucose monitor
We had a lab day where we learned and practiced finger sticks for glucose checks, drawing up medications and giving injections (we didn't actually inject anything into each other).
Learning to draw medications up in a syringe.
We got to practice opening up vials of medicine, drawing it up safely, and reading measurements on a syringe. Then we practiced injecting in an orange, the orange was very brave 😄.
It didn't even hurt :-)
Then we practiced finding the large muscles in the arms and legs where injections are usually given.
I had a great patient!!!
Without actually injecting anything we each got to practice how to safely give an injection.
There is a technique to it.
What skill is coming up next? I think it's suturing 😊 Whatever it is I know it's going to be good.

As always I appreciate all prayers and words of encouragement. I'm thankful to be able to follow the calling that God has placed on my life. If you would like to contribute towards either my schooling or a vehicle I have two easy ways to give. If you need a record of your giving for tax reasons you can give through my church by downloading the Givelify App on your phone. Once you have the app on your phone search churches, Orchard Church 763 Battlefield Pkwy. Ft Oglethorpe, GA 30742.

Image result for clip art givelify app









Once you register the church will have a link with my name on it just follow that and my church will forward the funds to me.
Another way is to give through PayPal, just follow this link PayPal.me/THittle
Remember giving through PayPal is not tax deductible.





No comments:

Post a Comment