Thursday, March 14, 2013

JMM trip D1

Almost as soon as I got home I started looking for another trip to Haiti. I looked at LAC website to see what trips they had to offer for 2013. To my surprise all the posted trip to LAC were either already full or were only open to a certain church group. My heart began to sink as I looked at the list of closed trips. The only spot that was open was a medical trip with Joyce Meyer's Ministries and it was in February. I began to wonder if I could go on another trip so quickly. Of course I wanted to but I was broke and I wondered how people would react, I temporarily got my eyes off God.
Thankfully people responded positively to my excitement and I applied for the trip. I began to make plans to go and actually started packing very early, I had lots of donated items that I needed to make sure I had room for without making my luggage to heavy.
Finally the day came, I was headed back to Haiti!! I was so excited, I got up early in the morning to start my next adventure. Then things started going in the wrong direction ...
Snow at the Chattanooga airport
First the flight was delayed because of mechanical problems. I wasn't worried because I had a little bit of time to play with once I landed in Atlanta before my next flight. Then this weird snow storm hit, we don't get much snow in my area. It rolled in quickly and almost as fast as it came it left. However by then the flight was cancelled all together! What was I going to do? I started making phone calls, the airline was checking for other flights. There weren't anymore direct flights to Haiti that day.
http://www.clker.com/cliparts/b/d/f/U/p/W/sad-monkey-face-md.pngThe only thing the airline could do was redirect me and get me on a flight the next day. There weren't any direct flights to Haiti coming out of Atlanta for another week so they sent me to New York.
I was headed in the wrong direction :) When I arrived it was late in the evening and it was snowing. I was not dressed for NY weather and several people commented on my dress. My flight was cancelled due to mechanical problems and not weather so the airline paid for my hotel room.
The room was nice and I was thankful that I didn't have to sleep in the airport, but I was hungry and a food voucher would have been nice. Thankfully I had snack food packed.
So what should have been my first day in Haiti was spent in airports and ended in New York. I was praying there wouldn't be any delays the next day.




No comments:

Post a Comment