Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Gifts for the poor

The first foreign mission trip I took was to the Ukraine in 1997. The trip was amazing and the entire time I was there I remember thinking "I could live here". We had interpreters with us the entire time we were there and I bonded with them. I hope that the Lord opens the door for me to go back some day.

Every trip I have been on has been different and they have all been hard but not for the same reasons. For instance the Ukraine was hard because it was the first time I had ever been away from my family with no way to contact them, the Philippines was hard because it was the first time I saw childhood diseases that we don't see in the US. I have seen people living in conditions that can only be comprehended if you see them with your own eye, words don't give it justice. I have witnessed poverty beyond anything I could ever imagine. I've seen the tv programs that show hungry children digging through the garbage but it's different to actually see them with my own eyes.
Last October when I went to Haiti I saw children so hungry they were actually eating dirt. The children even went through our garbage from the clinic and were eating the boxes that the medicine came in.
The children were so hungry they were eating the boxes.
I also saw so many children that were wearing rags and some had nothing at all. I have struggled with what pictures to show because I don't want to offend anyone and I want to be sensitive. My family saw my pictures and it made an impact on them. I have a picture of a group of kids in one village and there are three little boys in the group that have no clothes on, this is the picture that touched my aunts heart. My aunt was talking to my mom about it and together they decided that they would start collecting shorts for the little boys. I am amazed at peoples reaction and their generosity. I am excited to be able to hand out the shorts when I go back next month. If you would like to help please message me and I'll give you the details on how you can.
We handed out dresses when we did the medical clinic

No comments:

Post a Comment