Saturday, January 5, 2013

Haiti facts

In the areas that I went to the people spoke Creole, however some areas speak French. The people are very proud of their language and even though it's a language of it's own it sounds like a mixture of French, Spanish and something else thrown in. So far I have only learned a few words in Creole but I try to say them frequently so I'll remember them, that way when I go back I can expand my vocabulary.
13% of children die before reaching the age of 5 and a quarter of all Haitians die before they reach the age of 40. Even though there are many organizations helping Haiti conditions continue to worsen. It has been declared the poorest nation in the world with a very high unemployment rate.
I know looking at the statistics it can seem like a fruitless endeavor, however there are people working there that are making a difference in peoples lives there.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." is a common known Chinese Proverb. The ministry that I went with in October 2012 is doing exactly that. Yes the people in Haiti need help but just giving them handouts isn't going to help them in the long run. That's what I want to do, show them the love of Jesus in a practical way.

No comments:

Post a Comment