Tuesday, February 12, 2013

My journey begins

Port au Prince, view from airplane
After I got back from Haiti this time my mom asked me what I was going to write on my blog. I had been thinking about it quite a bit and I want to make sure the story of my journey to Haiti makes sense. So rather than jump around with the timeline I have decided to start from the beginning. The first time I went to Haiti it was with a small church group and since it was such a small group I can introduce each one.
Susan, her daughter had been in Haiti for several months. This was Susan's first mission trip.
Ashley, a college student and faithful friend that had already been to Haiti before and loves the people
Christy, a florist and wonderful friend. Her first mission trip.
Rob, our fearless leader.
When I first arrived in Haiti the first thing I remember is that it was hot and very muggy. It seemed like there were small fires everywhere so the smell of burning rubber and trash permeated the air. We landed at the main airport in Port au Prince and immediately had to go to a smaller airport down the road.
The 'small' airport
We were headed to Jacmel which is on the southern side of the mountains, the road wasn't finished yet so it was easier and quicker to just fly over the mountains.
This is the plane that took us over the mountains
This was the smallest plane I had ever been on and I was a little nervous.
The co-pilot explaining the plane to us.
View of Port au Prince
 As we were flying out of the city in our plane we could see some of the affects of the earthquake. Much of it was still in rubble and there were tent city's all over the place.
Me trying to not be sick.
I got the very last seat so it was my responsibility to open the emergency hatch and grab the first aid kit and flares if we crashed. Yes I was actually told this :) Talk about praying a lot.
The bay area in Port au Prince
 The contrast between the beauty and the destruction was very stark. The pictures don't even come close to showing the story.
View of a mountain road as we fly over.
At times it felt like we were on a ride in a theme park rather than on a plane.
Jacmel Haiti
 Then I got my first view of Jacmel, I had no way of knowing how my life would change and to what depth the people there would capture my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment